St. Joseph's School is a primary to secondary school in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. It was established in 1967 and is managed by the Apostolic Vicariate of the Roman Catholic Church to Arabia. After its installation, the school was managed by H. E. Giovanni Bernardo Gremoli, O.F.M. Cap., Vicar Apostolic Emeritus, the former Bishop (retired Mar 2005) of the Vicariate of Arabia, afterwards succeeded by H. E. Paul Hinder, O.F.M. Cap., the current Bishop. The school, always associated with the Roman Catholic Church, was located initially with the church building on the Corniche strip. Following the decision of the local government that the site be altered, the present foundation was laid for church and school buildings on the 19th of March, 1981, and dedicated to St. Joseph, the foster father of Christ, whose feast-day is celebrated on the same day. The day-to-day working of the school is managed by the Carmelite Sisters of St. Theresa, led by the present principal, Sister Carmen.
In our increasingly competitive world, university education gives students a wider choice and better career prospects. St Joseph’s School prepare students for university and a future of continuous learning. Through the St Joseph’s School Educational System, students develop a solid foundation of knowledge. They are motivated to strive for academic and personal excellence, and thereby become better geared to meet the challenges of a changing world.
The School Building is situated in a campus area of 400 x 400 sq.mt. The main building consists of 49 class rooms, 4 well equipped Laboratories, optional rooms, and a well equipped Library.
The aim of the school is to promote a cosmopolitan atmosphere, to train children of all denominations, providing for them a liberal education.
To instill a positive attitude towards learning as an immediate enrichment of life
and as a preparation for further
- To orient each child individually through the educational process so that he can realise his maximum potential.
- To provide instruction in the core academic areas such as Languages, Arts, Mathematics, Sciences and Social Sciences.
- To provide each child with opportunities to discover and foster interests and
talents in the arts and other non academic
- To impart character traits, trust, dependability, honesty and refinement through precept and example.
- To guide each child in the development of interpersonal relationships in the school, at home, and in the society.
- To foster a realistic understanding and appreciation of the culture of India, of the
host country (U. A. E.) and of all foreign
countries and to inculcate in the children a sense of mutual respect, love, friendship and universal brotherhood.
‘No child can learn to love unless he or she has first been loved’
‘It is better to build strong children than repair adults’
The St Joseph’s School as an institution has always encouraged and motivated its students to discover their forte and provided them with a platform to showcase it through their annual events such as talent’s day, sport’s day, elocution, drama, science quizzes, etc
To inculcate a sense of loyalty, team spirit and healthy competition, students are divided into four houses. The house colours are blue, red, green and yellow. They are represented by flowers that are chosen to match with their colours and for their singular and individual characteristics. Each house is governed by a motto; the values one has to adhere to and follow, to make life a momentous one.
1) Blue Bell: ‘Through co-operation to success’-states clearly that hard work and co-operation are the key words to achieving dreams and goals.
2) Rose: ‘To serve and not to be served’- proves their zeal and passion for service to others and love that brings forth willingness to care and to serve.
3) Shamrock: ‘Forward we go and never backward’- They believe that success comes through courage and determination.
4) Sunflower: ‘Live for others and never for yourself’- speaks of selflessness and concern for one another, an excellent virtue to live by!
Our school motto “Shine where you are” is the guiding force of our institution. Our purpose is to enable the students to be what god wants them to be and to achieve what god wants them to achieve.